Where We Started
From a small weekly Sunday School class (which interestingly enough was called “Sabbath” School) and a once-a-month preaching service, the Stockbridge Presbyterian Church emerged!
Through the efforts of Mrs. Harriet Tucker Hawkins and J. J. Gossett this congregation was organized by the Presbytery of Atlanta in the spring of 1909.
The first service in the new sanctuary was held on the second Sunday in June, 1910.
A number of ministers and students from Columbia Seminary came at various times and led the Stockbridge congregation in worship during its first twenty years, as there was no regular pastor.
Presbytery minutes of 1916 show 39 members. The annual budget was $264 In 1920 there were 52 members with an annual budget of $382 ($170 of which was the pastor’s salary).
In 1943 Presbytery records showed 45 members, and 6 Sunday School classes with 40 enrolled. The pulpit furniture which is still in use today was given in memory of Mrs. John Bellah by her daughters.
At a cost of $1,000 the sanctuary was moved and turned to face Highway 42, and three additional classrooms and a kitchen were added in September 1950 at a cost of $5,000. There were 74 members and an annual budget of $4,585.
In 1956 and Stockbridge Presbyterian Church called its first full-time pastor - George Dameron. Four air conditioning units were added to the sanctuary and ground was broken for the education building. By 1960 the final unit of the education building was completed.
The first woman deacon, Mrs. Bill (Doris) Hooper, was elected and ordained on February 9, 1969.
Tragedy struck on December 7, 1974 when fire damaged the education building. For two weeks the congregation met in the court room of the city hall.
The original building was dismantled in 1977 and ground broken for a new sanctuary. Cost estimate was $185,000; however, the final cost was $211,912.97. The congregation met each Sunday for worship in the downstairs fellowship hall of the education building. The mortgage on this debt was retired in 1988.
In 1983 family night suppers became part of the soup kitchen ministry and Christmas for the Needy was begun. This outreach program grew to the extent that it has become a part of a county-wide ministry to needy families at Christmas time, now facilitated through Connecting Henry.
Another outreach that was started during this time that continues today is Joseph’s Pantry.
In 1995 sanctuary windows were replaced with glass to match the beautiful glasswork on the front of the building.
For a full history created for the 100th anniversary in 2009. Download